SGS Seed and Crop News: September 2020
In this edition of SGS Seed and Crop Canada News:
- Blackleg Race DNA Predictive Tool for Canola Growers
- The Value of Nitrate testing for Livestock Health
- Cereal and Pulse Seed Testing to Confirm Suitability for Cleaning
- Advanced Fertilizer Analysis for Certification and Confidence
BLACKLEG RACE DNA PREDICTIVE TOOL FOR CANOLA GROWERS
Understanding which blackleg races which are present in your production fields can assist with choosing the appropriate resistance gene in your next canola rotation. To determine the races in your fields we have commercialized the KASP™ system (Kompetitive Allele Specific PCR), an endpoint genotyping technology. The ideal time for sampling is post-harvest, due to sampling efficiencies and ability to cover multiple suspect areas. Choose plant stems with the highest suspected blackleg infection and submit 3 inches above the crown and the entire root. Air dry the sample a minimum of one day prior to shipment. We highly recommend courier shipments and either a paper packaging or plastic bag with paper towel. Due to the extensiveness of the test, the standard turnaround is 4-6 weeks.
THE VALUE OF NITRATE TESTING FOR LIVESTOCK HEALTH
Livestock producers may have faced hail damaged crops or drought during the growing season and may now be encountering frost. Whether leaf damage is from hail, drought stress or frost, forage nitrate toxicity is worth testing for, as unconverted nitrate can become toxic to livestock. The mechanism behind nitrate buildup is that root nitrate uptake continues, but leaf metabolism into plant protein slows.
We test various forage plant materials, either pre-harvest via tissue analysis, or as an added option to a more complete nutrient test as forage harvest begins.
Here are guidelines for feeding forages to livestock based on nitrate nitrogen concentration.
|1||<0.12||<1200||Generally safe for beef cattle and sheep|
|2||0.12 – 0.23||1200-2300||Caution – some subclinical symptoms may appear in pregnant horses, sheep and beef cattle|
|3||0.23||2300||High nitrate problems – death losses and abortions can occur in beef cattle and sheep|
|4||<0.28||<2000||Maximum safe level for horses. Do not feed high nitrate forages to pregnant mares.|
CEREAL AND PULSE SEED TESTING TO CONFIRM SUITABILITY FOR CLEANING
Harvest is well underway, and we are ready to analyze your seed products. We have cereal, pulse, soybean and corn ‘Harvest’ packages built for the most frequently requested tests for ease of sample submission and pricing. Here are pointers key to attain the most reflective results for your seed lot:
- Build a representative seed sample and store the excess seed in a non-heated building.
- Package one sample for each designated bin, especially if there are difference in harvest date, seed temperature, moisture content and availability of bin fans.
- Ship samples shortly after harvest to gain prompt understanding quality.
- Order Germination, Cool Stress Test (western Canada), and Seed Borne Diseases on all your harvested samples. Enhanced services available include: Varietal Identification, Wheat Midge Refuge testing, Herbicide Bioassays, Tetrazolium and Moisture.
ADVANCED FERTILIZER ANALYSIS FOR CERTIFICAITON AND CONFIDENCE
Our standardized fertilizer analysis packages include N-P2O5-K20 elemental quantification, key components in most fertilizer blends. Are you seeking agricultural Certification from the Ministry of the Environment for Land Applied Biosolids and Non-Agricultural Source Material (NASM)? Then order our Heavy Metal package, which measures 11 data points.